Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Change in Terminology



Everyone with kids knows how many forms you fill out for school, sports, doctors, and seemingly random events.  It can be exhausting.  It is also a new source of pain for me.  I buckle down and plug away and I reach the box for father and I enter Jeffrey Beaupre (deceased) and then hit NA on all the other boxes.  It kills me.  Every single time.

But the worst?  The absolute worst was the forms I filled out at Social Security in the weeks after Jeff's death.  All the forms were done and after battling with Social Security and finding an office I could go to within days vs a month I was sitting at the desk signing my life away so that my children and I could receive our "survivor's benefits" when I get to the page that said "Date Marriage Ended" and it listed 2/26/12.  Jeff's date of death.

It was a shock, total wind sucking shock.  My marriage ended?  Since when?  I know I said "until death do us part" but you know what?  I think I lied.  Because I didn't part on the 26th I am still, almost a year later, Jeff's wife.  I do not identify with the term widow nor do I believe my marriage has ended.

It all boils down to terminology am I his wife or his widow?  Barely a year later, I am his wife.  It is a state of mind and heart not an adherence to the term.  Yes, he is gone.  No, I don't feel widowed.  I am alone, I am a single mom of two boys, I am still myself. 

I have, however, taken the step to take off my ring.  I stopped wearing jewelry shortly after my first child was born.  Necklaces and earrings were just too tempting for those chubby little fingers.  I even stopped wearing my engagement ring after I accidentally scratched my baby with it while changing his diaper.  Instead, I have only worn my wedding band for years.  Which was great.  I had actually picked out the band based on the fact that I would most likely wear it solo given the jobs I usually do. 

My finger looks strange and I can still see a slight indent from where the ring should be.  But I know I have to start taking some steps towards widowhood or I'll never get there.  I have to push myself into some painful experiences so that I can get through it, survive and move on to the next thing that will hurt.  The next form I will fill out, the next painful letter I receive in Jeff's name, the next time someone says "isn't he the boy who's father died?", the next, the next, the next.

Someday, but not today, I will change my terminology.

Sincerely,

Jeff's Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment