Friday, July 5, 2013

I Just Want to Be a Mother Again




Do you ever want to be 4 again?  Throw yourself on the ground and literally kick and scream over the injustice of your sandwich being cut the wrong way?  I do.  Maybe not over my sandwich but I do sometimes want to kick and scream over the injustice of life.

One thing I struggle with since Jeff died is the changes I have had to make in my life.  At the time of Jeff's death, I was a stay at home mom (SAHM).  I had been a SAHM since the arrival of J2 and in classic "you don't know what you  have until it's missing".  I wish I still was.

Two months after Jeff's death, I was offered a job.  It was both a gift from God and a curse.  I was lucky because the company I work for is very flexible and very understanding.  I even told them upfront they weren't getting me at my best because of my circumstances.  They were fine with it.  And while I have an income I miss the time I had at home with my kids. 

My mother watches the boys while I work, there are dynamics at play there as well, but this isn't about that :-)  What gets me are the times my kids call me "Nanny" instead of Mom.  They quickly correct themselves but it's a reminder that I am not home all day.  But that someone else is, and that person is the first name they think of when asking for something.  I am sure other working mothers go through this, but the thing is.  I wasn't planning on it.  Jeff and I had agreed I'd stay home until Kindergarten for J2.  I liked that plan.  I miss that plan.

It also makes the evenings hard.  I get home and have to pick up, get dinner on the table, rush out for a sporting event or preschool board meeting.  It makes for a long day and it makes for a lot of "I have to do..."

What hurts is when J1 asks me to play.  "Mommy, I want you to play with me." and I respond "I need to get dinner going, I need to put the laundry in, I need to XYZ"  These things need to get done.  They have to get done to keep the house running and the people fed.  But every instance reminds me that I am not just a mother.  I am the breadwinner, I am the housekeeper, I am the gardener, I am the laundress, I am the bookkeeper, I am the secretary.  I do it all.  I have no help.  Which means I have less time to spend playing with my children.

Is this everyday?  No.  I often do get 30 minutes to play some street hockey or to build the worlds largest train track.  But it isn't everyday I do that.  And I hear more "you never play with me anymore" than I ever thought I would hear. 

This is not a slam on other single mothers. Just that this was not my plan. This was not the life I had expected and therefor it is another avenue of grief. To grieve over the changes in my life that have surfaced because I am now a single mom.  I am fully capable of doing it all, I have for the past year -- I just don't want to.  I just want to be the Mommy again. It breaks my heart and I don't know how to change it.

Instead, all I can think of is that I want to throw a fit.  Am I allowed?  Yes, I think I am due.  But do I do it?  No, I'm just to damn busy.

Sincerely,

Jeff's Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment