Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Emergency Contact


I was recently at the doctor, one I only see about once a year.  They like so many other offices are busy switching to the newly required electronic filing system and were updating all their info.  Somehow, and I don't know how, some of my info hadn't been updated properly in the past year.

So, I had to tell them Jeff died and take him off all my paperwork and I had to change my emergency contact information.  Now, I even questioned why they needed this.  I mean, I'm 40 so why do they need a secondary contact?  And really, I am only here once a year.  But they did and so, at 40, I had to list my mother. 

It may seem small, but it is little events like this that bother me.  First, I had to tell a perfect stranger that Jeff had died.  This is still not easy for me, I have on occasion, pretended to still be happily married so that I don't have to tell a random stranger my story.  I sometimes just don't want to deal with it. 

I had to stand there at the counter and correct my paperwork - basically erasing Jeff from my life - and then I had to put my mother down as a contact like I was a child.  I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.  It's like all the forms I fill out for the boys.  Under "father" I list Jeff then (deceased) and then NA all the other info slots.  It kills me and I fill out those damn forms all the time.  But for me?  There is no slot to fill in information on your deceased husband.  After I mark the widow box, there is no other need for me to list him.  Not for insurance, not for contact, not for anything.  Poof.  He is gone.

I am an adult and as an adult I should be able to list my partner, my companion, my husband.  But damn-it.  I can't.  Not anymore.  I hate Xing the box that says "widow" and I hate these stupid minor invasions into my life like an emergency contact. 

I guess the only thing worse: is when I have to change it from my mother to my sons.

Sincerely,

Jeff's Widow

1 comment:

  1. This one was hard on me. Other siblings. Other siblings attending the school. Removing him from all our insurance forms. We received an ATM card the other day addressed to Joshua Newman. It made my heart stop for a moment. We keep his savings account for the fundraising events in his memory. I can't understand what it feels like to lose my husband, though I think it would be a very long time before I could look again too. You just take your time and do what your heart allows you. Sending HUGS!

    ReplyDelete