Friday, May 10, 2013

The Watch


Years ago, Jeff bought me a watch and I wore it non-stop up until I had J1, then I stopped wearing jewelry.  I have really only worn my wedding ring for the past 6 years.  I took off the engagement ring after I scratched the baby changing his diaper.  The earrings came off because they were too tempting for chubby fingers, the same with my necklaces.  I was home a lot with the baby so what did I need a watch for?  Was it time to feed the baby? Was it time to change the baby?  Was it time for the baby to sleep?You don't need a watch for that.

Recently, I got the watch out to wear and of course the battery was dead.  I took it to my local jeweler, who spent 10 minutes on it and came out shaking his head.  It was more than just the battery and as he put it, it might not be worth the repair. 

I only had to look up and say "My husband gave it to me."  And the jeweler, gently patted my hand and said "Then I'll fix it" and he wrote up a ticket for the repair. 
 

It will probably cost me more to have the watch repaired than Jeff paid for it.  But that's OK, that isn't where the value lies.  The value is in all the memories of all the years I wore the watch.  The early years with Jeff.

I'm looking forward to getting the watch back.

Sincerely,

Jeff's Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment