Monday, June 10, 2013

How Would I Know?


I've talked about fear before.  But fear is so insidious, it lies dormant waiting for  you to be weak and then it strikes.  I have recently had another go-round with this foe and it sits coiled in my belly.

A week ago, J1 woke up with a wet bed.  Now, he's 7 and it sometimes happens when I don't remind him to pee before he goes to sleep.  I was fine that morning as I sent him off to school and changed his sheets.  Then, later in the day as I was describing SUDEP to someone, a switch clicked on in my brain and I was suddenly filled with fear. 

See, I said that Jeff had the seizures in his sleep and that he would never know he'd had them if I hadn't been there, except that he wet the bed.  So, what is the next conclusion to jump to? 

How do I know J1 isn't having seizures in his sleep?  How do I know that is why he wet the bed?  He is well past the age for a baby monitor. And even if I put a noise monitor in his room, would I catch the sounds of a seizure?

It is a slippery slope to go from considering a potential disorder to finding disorders around every corner.  I don't want to be that person.  But I also don't ever want to find a loved-one dead in their bed, especially not my children.

I have been consumed with this fear for four days now with no real answer to my question.  I plan on asking my pediatrician when J1 goes in in two weeks.  But I wonder if my fear is groundless or would I have peace of mind if I bought a seizure detection monitor for my two children who have never had a known seizure?  Am I buying into the fear?  Or is it preventative medicine? 

I can't decide and so I am torn, stress-bellied and nervious.  Hand hovering over the big red panic button.

Sincerely,

Jeff's Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment