Friday, June 7, 2013

The First Date - a Funny Story


So Jeff and I agreed to our first date on June 7th, a week after we'd first met.  What makes this a funny story is that I broke out in a rash from poison oak that very morning.  See, I am an environmentalist and I work outside about 50% of the time.  The week leading up to the first date, I'd been out in a swampy woods doing a wetland delineation.  The area was thick with poison oak and my luck had run out (I'd never had poison ivy or oak before).

The first thing I did was call my BFF, SL.  I had a dilemma.  I was covered in poison oak, I felt terrible and I looked worse.  But, do I go on the date or do I cancel?  I was concerned, not really knowing Jeff, how he would take it if I canceled our first date that very morning.  Would he believe me that I had poison oak?  Or would he then write me off?  What to do?  SL, suggested I run out to a pharmacy and stock up on Benedryl and poison ivy cream and to go on the date.   He could take one look at me and agree to reschedule then.  Then he would see proof I had poison oak and might be more forgiving.

Jeff did one better, he still took me out on the date.  We met up at my friends house since I was dog sitting that weekend.  Jeff won points by getting down and greeting the dogs properly, proving he was clearly a dog person.  We talked briefly about my poison oak issue.  He wasn't phased so we went out to dinner.

We had a perfectly awkward first date that so many people have.  We'd only met the week before and talked once on the phone (if you can call it that).  So the evening was like giving out your statistics: job, school, family, etc.  No heavy discussions of politics or religion.  After dinner we went to listen to some music, however Jeff decided it was too loud and too crowded so we left after 10 minutes.  We then went to a diner for pie.  It was a nice night.

Jeff ended the night by inviting me to Shakespeare in the park the next day, if he could get tickets.  A second date the day after the first! And only the beginning.

Sincerely,

Jeff's Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment