Monday, October 21, 2013

Into Darkness


Depression's reedy fingers have a hold of my ankle threatening to pull my head underwater.  I had a rough week (http://survivingaftersudep.blogspot.com/2013/10/spirals.html) and I just didn't snap out of it.  My sadness was compounded by the dread I felt in awaiting test results for my youngest child.

Fear, dread, anxiety, anticipation is just fuel for the Molotov cocktail that is depression.  I slept too much (not enough), ate too much (way too much), drank too much (just right) and did the minimum of exercise all week (my bad).  I didn't have the energy to do much other than worry about myself and my child.

Thursday came and went and I was relieved to get good (ish) news about my boy.  But strangely, even as the sun was shining and the world wasn't turned upside down for me: I didn't snap out of it.  I thought for sure, after my appointment on Thursday that I would be OK again.

And then I realized: I haven't been OK since February 26th 2012. 

I'm not the same, I will never be the same and I am definitely not OK.  I have subscribed to the "fake it until you make it" mentality of daily life with my kids.  I don't want to rain on their parade so I put on the brave face and soldier on.  Right now, I am questioning my ability to even do that. 

Grief is strange.  I don't know if it is the time of year, the impending holidays, or if as a friend of mine put it: "I was just due".  But I've been into darkness for 10 days now and I don't have a flashlight.

Sincerely,

Jeff's Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment